Founded in 1868, St Raphael’s is the only Anglican church in the country to be dedicated to the Archangel Raphael. St. Raphael is a patron saint of travellers, and his name means ‘God’s healing’ or ‘God has healed’.
St. Raphael’s was originally built in 1868 at the instigation of a Rector of the parish of Lydford – a Parish which covered a huge area.
It was built on the site of some old ruined cottages that had been thatched with rye straw. The property was acquired from the Duchy of Cornwall and the purpose stated was, “for a school for the education in the parish of Lydford”.
Hence it was a School during the week and a Chapel on Sundays.
The brochure available to download below contains the history, points of interest and two guided pilgrimages to nearby churches.